Trip and Fuel Permits Explained

If you’ve registered for IFTA, you know getting all the proper paperwork, permits, and decals can be a little tricky. For instance, what if you mostly operate intrastate and need to make a trip into another IFTA jurisdiction? Or if you have applied for an IFTA license but need to operate before you have received your decals in the mail?

Well luckily for you, there are some legal ways around this. Take a look below and we’ll give you the legal options for traveling to another jurisdiction without the proper registration.

Permit Options

IFTA Temporary Permit:

If your vehicle qualifies for IFTA but you haven’t registered it or don’t want to register it, the best and only legal option is to get a temporary permit to travel into each IFTA member jurisdiction you wish to travel in/through. An IFTA temporary permit lasts for 30 days, and you have to get one if you need to travel interstate and don’t have IFTA decals.

Once you receive the permit, be sure to keep it inside the vehicle at all times along with your IFTA license. You should also note that permits are only valid for the vehicle they were ordered for, and cannot be transferred to another.

Trip Permit:

If you are registered for IFTA, then you don’t need a temporary fuel permit to travel interstate. But if you do not have your IRP registration, then you will need to obtain a temporary trip permit in order to cross state lines if your vehicle meets the following qualified vehicle specifications:

  • Weighs over 26,000 pounds
  • Has three or more axles, regardless of weight
  • Your vehicle is registered as a commercial vehicle in Arizona and weighs over 10,000 pounds
  • Your vehicle is registered as a commercial vehicle in California (weight does not matter)

State Specific Permit Rules

Many states also have different procedures for what you must do when you enter the state. There are three states that only issue permits at their ports of entry, which are Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming. There is no other way to obtain these permits aside from actually going to the port itself. There is also no way to purchase fuel permits for states that don’t participate in IFTA, and it is recommended that you just save all fuel receipts from fuel purchased in those states.

Getting Your Permit

Now that you know just about everything there is to know about trip and fuel permits, you’re probably thinking, “Well how do I get one?” That’s a fair question, and the best way to get these permits is to contact a processing agency like Truck Services of North America. Just give them a call at 803.386.0320 or send them a service request, and they’ll get you all taken care of and ready to get on the road.

And don’t forget if you are registered for IFTA to generate your return with ExpressIFTA! It’s the quickest and most reliable way to do your IFTA return. Plus, our support team is always there to answer any IFTA questions you may have. Just give us a call at 704.234.6005 or email us at and we’ll get you taken care of.

4,308 total views, 15 views today

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *