NY HUT Renewals

On October 1, 2012 the renewal period began for the New York State imposed a highway use tax (HUT) on motor carriers operating certain motor vehicles on New York State public highways (excluding toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway). The tax is based on mileage traveled on NYS public highways and is computed at a rate determined by the weight of the motor vehicle and the method that you choose to report the tax.  The deadline to renew is December 31, 2012. Beginning January 1, 2013, you must affix a decal to each vehicle that’s required to have a certificate of registration.

Vehicle registration requirements
You must obtain a certificate of registration for each vehicle subject to HUT. There are two types:

  • A HUT certificate of registration is required for any truck, tractor, or other self-propelled vehicle with a gross weight over 18,000 pounds. (If you elect to use the unloaded weight method to file your returns, a certificate is required for any truck with an unloaded weight over 8,000 pounds and any tractor with an unloaded weight over 4,000 pounds.)
  • An automotive fuel carrier (AFC) certificate of registration is required for any truck, trailer, or semi-trailer transporting automotive fuel. (The same gross weight and unloaded weight rules apply.)

You are also required to file your quarterly highway use tax return.  The 3rd quarter ended on September 30, 2012 and the deadline to file is October 31, 2012.  With ExpressIFTA, you have the ability to maintain distance and fuel records online to keep track of your mileage and fuel purchases.  You will have the records you need to file your NY HUT taxes.

To find out more or get started today, contact our friendly US based customer support team in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or email us at support@ExpressIFTA.com.

4,584 total views, 3 views today

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *