In addition to the HVUT Form 2290 filing deadline, members of the trucking industry should be aware of the impending IFTA tax return deadline coming up on July 31st. Don’t let this deadline sneak up on you. To help you get started here is what you need to know about the IFTA tax return.
What You Need to Know About The IFTA Tax Return
IFTA, or the International Fuel Tax Agreement, is an arrangement between 48 of the United States (only excluding Alaska and Hawaii) and 10 Canadian provinces to report fuel use by authorized motor carriers that operate in more than one jurisdiction (state). The IFTA fuel tax redistributes fuel taxes equally among the jurisdictions.
To show you filed your IFTA return and paid the taxes owed by the deadline, you will be issued an IFTA license and IFTA stickers. The license should be kept in your truck at all times and the IFTA stickers are to be displayed under your driver’s side window.
What is a Jurisdiction?
A jurisdiction is a state that you drive through. Your IFTA report should be made directly with your base jurisdiction or home state. Your base jurisdiction is also where your truck and information is registered.
Vehicle Qualifications For IFTA Reporting
Your vehicle qualifies for IFTA reporting if it travels between more than one jurisdiction and:
- Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 lbs
- Has two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 Ibs
- Has a combination weight exceeding 26,000 Ibs
- Has three or more axles regardless of weight
IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting Requirements
You are required by law to complete an IFTA report quarterly and with your base jurisdiction. To file you will need the following information:
- The total miles traveled per jurisdiction including taxable and nontaxable, IFTA and non-IFTA, and trip permit miles.
- The total gallons of fuel consumed in each jurisdiction including taxable and nontaxable, IFTA, and trip permit miles.
- The number of gallons of fuel purchased per jurisdiction.
- The tax paid on each gallon of fuel purchased per jurisdiction.
- And the current tax rate per jurisdiction.
IFTA Fuel Tax Rates 2nd Quarter 2018
At ExpressIFTA we automatically update our calculations and IFTA tax rates to ensure 100% accuracy. Plus our innovative features help you complete your IFTA quarterly fuel tax report.
Here is how to get started today:
- Create your free ExpressIFTA account
- Enter your business information
- Specify your base jurisdiction
- Enter your vehicle details
- List your miles and fuel records
- Generate your IFTA quarterly fuel tax report
No more complicated IRS terminology or calculations. Our IFTA software will accurately calculate your IFTA fuel tax rates and IFTA tax based on the provided information guaranteeing you are not over or underpaying.
3,456 total views, 9 views today