You have a lot to learn about the road
and that will come from sitting behind the wheel yourself. However, you will have a lot of truck taxes
to keep up with as well! You have the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, your IRP, and IFTA. Because IFTA actually has quarterly deadlines throughout the year we decided to give you a full introduction!
All About IFTA
IFTA or the International Fuel Tax Agreement is an agreement between the contiguous states of the United States and the Canadian provinces to simplify the reporting of fuel use by motor carriers that operate in more than one jurisdiction (state). The IFTA tax redistributes fuel taxes equally among jurisdictions.
To prove that you file your IFTA return and pay the amount of tax you owe by the deadlines you will be issued an IFTA license that you should keep in your truck at all times and two IFTA decals that you should clearly place under your driver’s side window.
Now your vehicle qualifies for IFTA if it travels between more than one jurisdiction and:
– Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
– Has two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
– Has a combination weight exceeding 2,6000 pounds.
– Has 3 or more axles, regardless of weight.
Each IFTA quarter you’re required to complete an IFTA return for the time period of 4 months and your return is due to your base jurisdiction (home state). Your base jurisdiction is your jurisdiction where your qualifying vehicles are required to be registered and where your information is available in the event of an audit. It’s also where qualified motor vehicles traveling through the jurisdiction within the fleet accrue some mileage.
In order to complete your IFTA fuel tax return you will need to report:
– The total miles traveled per jurisdiction including taxable and nontaxable, IFTA and non-IFTA, and trip permit miles.
– The total gallons of fuel consumed in each jurisdiction including taxable and nontaxable, IFTA and non-IFTA.
– The number of gallons of fuel purchased per jurisdiction.
– The tax paid on each gallon of fuel purchased per jurisdiction.
– And the current tax rate per jurisdiction.
Now, this may seem like a lot to keep up with, but ExpressIFTA makes it easy. This IFTA reporting software includes innovative features that let you upload your IFTA information at your own pace. Upload your trip information as you go or all at once with the quick entry screen. Heck, you can even upload your miles from your fuel card.
Don’t worry about handling any complicated calculations yourself, because we will automatically calculate the amount of IFTA tax for you. Plus, all of your information will be kept in easy to read reports per quarter. They can be easily printed and used to complete your return!
We’re Here To Help
IFTA can be confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. If you need any assistance please don’t hesitate to contact the amazing ExpressIFTA support team. We’re available over the phone Monday – Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST at 704.234.6005, and you can also connect with us via live chat.