At ExpressIFTA, we take great pride in making the IFTA filing process as easy as ever. We’ve already covered how to get yourself prepared in advance for your IFTA return. Today, we’re going to give you some great tips on how to simplify filing your IFTA return at the last minute.
Take a look below at our tips for the brave souls who have successfully waited until the last minute to file.
Last Minute Tips:
The first thing you’ll need to do is to create an account. It’s very simple to do and only takes a few minutes, but you don’t want to be dealing with the sign-up process when you’ve got limited time to get your return filed. To create an account, visit ExpressIFTA.com, and click on the “New User” button in the top right corner of the page, and enter your information to get started.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
To generate a report, you will need to have your:
- Mileage Log- Whether you use manual trip sheets, a GPS system, or electronic trip sheets (e-logs), you will not only need to input all of this information into your report, but you will also need to keep ahold of your logs for recordkeeping purposes in case you are ever audited. Trust us, if you do ever face an audit, having these handy will save you a huge headache.
- Fuel Receipts- You will need to have all of your fuel receipts so you know the exact amount of fuel that was purchased in each state. You will also have to separate your mileage and fuel records for each fuel type of fuel.
Prepare Yourself in Advance:
If you are doing manual trip logs and plan to use ExpressIFTA, be sure that you are preparing yourself beforehand by adding your fuel and mileage into the system as-you-go. The manual logs can take some time to fill out, especially if you leave all your data entry to the last minute. So don’t wait until you’re running behind, start getting your mileage and fuel into the system today!
If this is something that you have problems keeping up with, you can always try a GPS system or program that runs ProMiles, so that you can upload all of your trip information directly into our system instead of having to enter it all manually. A business management program like TruckLogics can also help with that. Not only can the program help you keep track of your mileage with ProMiles and relevant IFTA information, but it can also help you keep track of all of your fuel receipts from the road. Simply download the app, and you will be able to upload pictures of all of your fuel receipts from the road directly into the system for safe keeping.
IFTA Report Options:
Here are the options for generating your IFTA report:
- Using our Software Program- ExpressIFTA is the easiest and most accurate way to generate your report. Software programs are great for generating reports since all the calculations are automatic, which greatly limits your chances of making an error on your return..
- Do it Yourself- You can calculate your return by hand or you can send it in by mail. If you have any questions about the current tax rate for your state, visit the IFTA website.
- Paying Someone Else- You can always use a CPA or a process agent to do your report and send it in for you, like Truck Services of North America. That way you can just sit back and relax, and let someone else take care of all the paperwork.
Don’t Forget About Weight-Mile Tax:
Also, very important to note that the weight-mile tax for the states of New Mexico, New York, Kentucky, and Oregon are due the same day (July 31) as the IFTA tax deadline. With everything going on, it can be easy to forget about these extra taxes. so if you operate in any of those four states, don’t forget to file!
If you have any questions about your IFTA return or IFTA in general, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We can be reached at 704.234.6005, or you can email us at email@example.com.
2,967 total views, 3 views today