ExpressIFTA Blog

Friday, August 28, 2015


Now that the IFTA second quarter is finished, you won’t have to worry about filing another IFTA report until the end of October. But that doesn’t mean you’re in the clear just yet. Now is time for a lot of you to either renew or register for IRP, and the process can get a little confusing. Not to worry though, take a look below and we’ll go over all of the most frequently asked IRP questions!

What is IRP?

IRP, although it seems complicated, is just an initialism for the International Registration Plan. The International Registration Plan is a special agreement among US states, the District of Columbia, and Canadian provinces for payment of commercial motor carrier registration fees. Any qualified vehicles that travel interstate must register, and the registration must be done with your base jurisdiction.

What is a Base Jurisdiction?

Choosing your base jurisdiction is the first and most important step to get registered for IRP. Typically, the base jurisdiction is just the state or province where your business is located. In order to select a state as your base jurisdiction, you’ll need to have documented proof that your business is in headquartered in that state/province.

How Do I Apply?

To actually apply for or renew your IRP registration, you will need to prove your business is located in your base jurisdiction, complete an application, and pay the necessary fees. You will also need to make sure that all of your tax payments are up to date for IFTA and for the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax.

Supporting documentation is necessary to prove that everything is up-to-date and correct. The documentation necessary for IRP registration includes your IFTA registration, vehicle title, and proof of insurance. Some other states and provinces may also require additional documentation, so if you are unsure of your base jurisdiction’s requirements, give them a call and check.

What is a Qualified Vehicle?

A qualified vehicle is any vehicle that weighs over 26,000 pounds or that has three or more axles and operates in multiple jurisdictions across the US/Canada.

Do I Have to Keep Any Records?

Yes you will need to keep records just like with IFTA. You’ll have to keep distance records of the mileage traveled in each jurisdiction, so that the fees you pay can be properly distributed to the states you operate in. You’ll also need to keep these records for at least three years after the close of the registration period, just in case you ever face an audit from your base jurisdiction.

Is There Anything Else to Do?

There’s really only one other thing you’ll have to worry about, and it’s pretty simple. Once you receive the receipt for paying your registration, you’ll receive your decals along with it. Any idea what you’ll need to do with the decals? Yep, thats right, all you have to do is slap them on your truck in the correct position. Unsure of the correct position? Then just give your base jurisdiction a call, and they’ll be able to clarify where the decal belongs for vehicles in your base jurisdiction.

We know this is all a lot of information to process if you’re fairly new to the industry, but if you ever have any questions about anything IFTA or IRP related, just give us a call at 704.234.6005, or email us at

No comments :

Post a Comment

Support Center