ExpressIFTA Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tips to help you file Your Quarterly IFTA Fuel Taxes

Tips to file IFTA Taxes:
1. A quarterly IFTA tax return must be filed even if the licensee does not operate or purchase any taxable fuel in an IFTA member jurisdiction during the specific quarter.

2. You will need to separate your mileage and fuelrecords for each fuel type.

3. If you travel in New York, Kentucky, New Mexico, or Oregon you will also need to file their Weight Distance Tax Return.

What you need:

1. Mileage log-whether you use manual trip sheets, GPS, or electronic trip sheets; it is not only necessary to have in order to fileyour quarterly IFTA, but you will need these if you are ever audited.

2. Fuel Receipts-you will need to know how many gallons of fuel were purchased in each state.

Options to prepare and file your return:

1. Doing it yourself, you can calculate your own return by hand and mail or e-file the return. To find out the current tax rate for each state go to

2. Using a software program that will calculate your return for you, like, which will reduce the chances of miscalculations?.

3. Paying someone else to do it, you can use a CPA or a process agent, like Truck Services of North America and let them take care of preparing and filing the return for you.

Regardless of the method you choose to file your quarterly IFTA tax return, it is crucial to maintain accurate records and file your returns on time to avoid penalties. To find out more or get started today, contact our friendly US based customer support center in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or email us at

No comments :

Post a Comment

Support Center